industryterm:rights

  • Lebanese man jailed nine months for beating wife
    http://english.al-akhbar.com/content/lebanese-man-jailed-nine-months-beating-wife

    A Lebanese man charged with beating his wife has been sentenced to nine months in jail and fined about $13,000, a monitoring group said Tuesday. Rights group #KAFA said Hussein Fatouni received the sentence after nearly killing his wife, Tamar Harisi, earlier this month. The 22-year-old victim is still recovering at a Beirut hospital from the brutal June 7 beating when Fatouni left his wife’s face and body covered in bruises. read more

    #domestic_violence #Lebanon


  • Witness to Fatal Shooting of Palestinians Reports Threats From Israeli Soldiers
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/20/world/middleeast/witness-to-fatal-shooting-of-palestinians-reports-threats-from-israeli-sold

    A Palestinian carpenter whose security cameras recorded the fatal shooting of two Palestinian teenagers at a protest in the West Bank last month told Human Rights Watch that he was threatened by Israeli soldiers this week during an hourlong interrogation.

    The carpenter, Fakher Zayed, also witnessed the shooting of Nadeem Siam Nawara, 17, and Mohammad Mahmoud Odeh Salameh, 16, and his testimony was included in a video report on the episode produced by the rights group Defense for Children International-Palestine.

    The killings took place during an annual commemoration of what Palestinians call the “catastrophe,” or “nakba,” suffered by their community in 1948, when hundreds of thousands fled or were driven from their homes by Israeli forces fighting to establish a Jewish state.

    On Tuesday afternoon, Mr. Zayed said, about two dozen Israeli soldiers arrived at his carpentry shop in Beitunia while he was out and told one of his employees that they would burn it down unless he returned immediately. When Mr. Zayed arrived, he said the soldiers confiscated his identification card and told him that he would have to go to the nearby Ofer military base for questioning. Another person who was present at Mr. Zayed’s shop but asked not to be named confirmed this account, Human Rights Watch reported.

    Mr. Zayed told the rights group that, over the course of an hour, he was berated for sharing the video and giving interviews to the media, and he was warned that if he did not take down his security cameras immediately, there would be severe consequences.

    “At Ofer I was taken into a room that had several captains,” he said. “They told me that the video I gave to the press was fabricated, that everything I said and all my testimonies are a lie, that this is a serious violation of the law, and that I made the I.D.F. look bad and caused a lot of problems. They told me the cameras need to be brought down within 24 hours.”

    “They were all speaking, and I had no chance to respond,” he continued. “There were so many threats. They said it as though they were going to turn the law against me. One of the captains told me: ‘We will crush you, according to the law.’ There were many threats against my family. They told me that I was up against a very powerful force, and I am very small. One of them said, ‘We will squish you like a bug, you are nothing.’ There were no direct violent threats, except when I left that room, one of the soldiers told me that they will unleash dogs on my children.”

    #Israël #impunité #happy_trigger #menaces


  • Premier League not happy with Rainbow Laces from Stonewall | Queer Landia
    http://queerlandia.com/2013/09/23/premier-league-not-happy-with-rainbow-laces-from-stonewall

    Premier League not happy with Rainbow Laces from Stonewall
    Posted on September 23, 2013 by Nathan Simpson
    robbie.rogers

    Robbie Rogers, via his instagram

    Last week with the help of Paddy Power, LGBT rights group Stonewall sent rainbow laces to all 92 Premier League clubs, Football League clubs, and the professional clubs in Scotland. Several Premier League clubs including Manchester United, Tottenham and Norwich, aren’t too happy with how Stonewall and Paddy Power rolled out the initiative and have refused to participate.

    Manchester United released a statement that read: ”The club supports the League’s central anti-discrimination efforts through Kick It Out. It is a positive move that Stonewall are now speaking to the League directly, rather than working with a commercial provider on a campaign without involving clubs or players at any stage.”

    Tottenham echoed MU’s feelings in their own statement: “Whilst the campaign message is positive and one we support, there was unfortunately no prior consultation with ourselves, the Premier League or other clubs. Such consultation would have enabled us to avoid issues in respect of associated third-party commercial entities.

    “We have contacted Stonewall directly and let them know that we are supportive and keen to discuss ways in which we can work together going forward. We are committed to working with organisations such as Stonewall and other agencies to eradicate homophobia in football and society.”

    The Premier League organisation itself said all teams are welcome to participate if they so choose. A spokesperson from Paddy Power said the launch of the initiative was not mishandled, and the leagues had ample time discuss whether or not to support the campaign. ”The rainbow laces and information were distributed to all clubs last Friday, three days before the launch, to give them a few days to discuss with players about supporting the campaign.”

    And while there has been some push back from Premier League clubs, the Daily Mail notes a number of high-profile players have worn the rainbow laces including Match of the Day host Gary Lineker, Newcastle chief Alan Pardew, players Leroy Fer, Phil Jagielka, Aron Gunnarsson and Russell Martin, BT Sport pundit David James.


  • Palestinian rights group forges sturdy link between West Bank, Gaza -
    by Amira Hass

    Haaretz Daily Newspaper
    http://www.haaretz.com/weekend/palestinian-rights-group-forges-sturdy-link-between-west-bank-gaza.premium-

    A leaflet was distributed early this week in Nablus calling for a halt to the security collaboration with Israel in the West Bank. That very day, the Palestinian Preventive Security agency arrested a key activist of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, which was behind the leaflet. The man was released within a few hours, but an acquaintance who visited him related that the signs of the beating he received were still visible on his body.

    It’s likely that the arrest and beating will be part of the statistics contained in next year’s report of the Palestinian Independent Commission for Human Rights ‏(ICHR‏). They will be contained under the rubrics of “Violations of the right to personal security and physical safety, especially in the form of torture and ill treatment ‏(during detention‏)” and “Violations of the right to freedom of expression.”

    The report for 2012, published on Tuesday, states that last year, the ICHR documented 306 violations in the category of torture and ill-treatment − 172 in the West Bank and 134 in the Gaza Strip. This is a considerable increase over 2011, when 214 cases of ill-treatment and abuse of persons in detention were recorded. The past year saw an increase of 10 percent in the overall number of complaints by residents of the Palestinian Authority regarding violations of their rights by the authorities − 3,185 ‏(of them, 812 in the Gaza Strip‏) in 2012, as compared to 2,876 (831 in Gaza).


  • B’Tselem: PLUS DE 50% DES PALESTINIENS TUES PENDANT LA DERNIERE OFFENSIVE CONTRE GAZA ETAIENT DES CIVILS. -
    http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/b-tselem-more-than-50-of-palestinians-killed-in-israel-s-last-gaza-operatio

    Israeli rights group’s report finds that 35 percent of the non-combatants killed in Operation Pillar of Defense were under 18, also cites violations of international law by both Palestinian militant groups and IDF.


  • Kuwait jails activist for five years over Twitter remarks
    http://english.al-akhbar.com/content/kuwait-jails-activist-five-years-over-twitter-remarks

    Kuwait’s lower court on Sunday sentenced an opposition youth activist to five years in jail “with immediate effect” for insulting the emir on Twitter, a rights group said.

    “The court passed the maximum jail term against Mohammad Eid al-Ajmi for insulting the emir on Twitter,” the director of the Kuwait Society for Human Rights, Mohammad al-Humaidi, told AFP.

    The ruling is not final as it will be appealed, but Ajmi will begin serving the sentence immediately, Humaidi said.

    Ajmi is the third opposition youth activist to be convicted for insulting the emir on Twitter. Last month the same court sentenced two tweeters to two years each in jail each on the same charge.


  • Kuwait police crackdown on stateless protests
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/01/201211420266902157.html

    Kuwaiti riot police have used tear gas and batons to disperse hundreds of stateless demonstrators for the second day in a row and arrested dozens, witnesses and a rights group said.

    A day after security forces beat protesters demanding citizenship in Jahra, northwest of Kuwait City, demonstrations expanded on Saturday to include Sulaibiya, west of the capital.

    The independent Kuwait Association of Human Rights (KAHR) said three of its members monitoring the protests were arrested but one was later released.

    Riot police chased demonstrators and arrested dozens in the two towns where most of the 105,000 stateless bidoons live, witnesses said.

    Ahmed al-Tamimi, head of the Kuwaiti Bidoons Committee, told a news conference that riot police had sealed off the two towns and used police dogs to chase protesters.

    He said protests were still continuing into the night, claiming that police has randomly rounded up more than 100 people. He appealed to the prime minister to intervene.


  • 1 000 strike at Apple supplier in China| News24
    http://www.news24.com/SciTech/News/1-000-strike-at-Apple-supplier-in-China-20111124

    About 1 000 workers at a plant in southern China that makes components for Apple and IBM went on strike this week, a rights group said, the latest in a string of labour disputes in the country.

    Hundreds of police officers, some in riot gear, deployed after staff at the factory in the manufacturing hub of Shenzhen walked out on Tuesday and blocked a highway to protest long working hours, China Labour Watch said.