Documents released by the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) reveal a call to action three weeks ago.
“The re-imposition of a package of measures is required urgently,” it warned on 21 September.
It added: "The more rapidly these interventions are put in place the greater the reduction in Covid-related deaths and the quicker they can be eased.
“Not acting now to reduce cases will result in a very large epidemic with catastrophic consequences.”
One set of Sage documents reveals how much individual policies may cut the R number by:
– Close all bars, pubs, cafes and restaurants could reduce R by 0.1-0.2
– Close all indoor gyms and leisure centres could reduce R by up to 0.1
– Closing non-essential retail would have “minimal impact” on transmission
– Stopping people mixing in homes could reduce R by 0.1-0.2
– Working from home reduce R by 0.2-0.4
– Closing all schools could reduce R by 0.2-0.5
La fermeture des écoles et le télétravail sont ici les mesures les plus efficaces en dehors du confinement.