Quds News Network The Full Picture of Palestine for Palestinian Network


  • ‘Israel’ raids offices of several Palestinian NGOs in occupied West Bank August 18, 2022 - Quds News Network

    Occupied West Bank (QNN)- Israeli occupation forces raided the offices of several Palestinian civil society rights groups in the occupied West Bank on Thursday, mainly offices of the six groups outlawed last year by ‘Israel’.

    Al-Haq group reported that Israeli soldiers had stormed its offices in Ramallah, confiscating items, shutting down the main entrance with an iron plate, and leaving behind a military order declaring the organisation unlawful.

    Other groups raided included Addameer, the Bisan Center for Research & Development, Defense for Children International-Palestine, the Union of Agricultural Work Committees, and the Union of Palestinian Women’s Committees.
    In April, United Nations human rights experts urged the international community to resume funding for the Palestinian civil society groups.

    “We call on the funding governments and international organisations to swiftly conclude that Israel has not established its allegations and to announce that they will continue to financially and politically support these organisations and the communities and groups they serve,” said the experts.

    In July, in a joint statement, the Spokespersons of the Foreign Ministries of Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and Sweden expressed their opposition to the Israeli designation of the six Palestinian civil society organisations.

    The European states said in the statement, “Accusations of terrorism or links to terrorist groups must always be treated with the utmost seriousness. The designations needed therefore to be assessed carefully and extensively.”

    “No substantial information was received from Israel that would justify reviewing our policy towards the six Palestinian NGOs on the basis of the Israeli decision to designate these NGOs as ‘terrorist organizations’.” “Should evidence be made available to the contrary, we would act accordingly,” the states stressed.

    “In the absence of such evidence, we will continue our cooperation and strong support for the civil society in the oPT. A free and strong civil society is indispensable for promoting democratic values and for the two-state solution,” the states concluded the statement.

    Following on the heels of the nine European states that rejected the controversial designation, Norway stated it will also continue to support the six Palestinian organizations, saying “in Norway’s view, the information we have received from Israel is not sufficient to justify the designation of the six organizations as ‘terrorist organizations.’ … Norway will continue its cooperation with and support to civil society in the occupied Palestinian territories.”

    • Cisjordanie : Israël perquisitionne sept ONG palestiniennes de droits de l’homme
      RFI, Publié le : 18/08/2022, Avec notre correspondante à Ramallah, Alice Froussard

      (...) Pour les ONG, réunies en conférence de presse ce jeudi en début d’après-midi, cette nouvelle attaque est une tentative d’intimidation, et un message clair à tous ceux qui les ont défendus.
      « Ils ont volé tous nos équipements, toutes nos affaires, nos documents, nos classeurs, même notre photocopieuse, nos ordinateurs et nos bureaux, raconte Ubai al Abudeh du centre de recherche Bisan. Ce type d’attaque fait entièrement partie de la répression israélienne contre la communauté palestinienne en général et l’auto-organisation des Palestiniens. Le monde a déjà rejeté les désignations israéliennes en disant qu’elles n’étaient pas fondées - car elles ne sont pas fondées - alors les Israéliens se sont tournés vers la seule chose qu’ils savent faire : utiliser leur force brutale contre les organisations de la société civile. »
      Pour Sahar Francis, directrice de l’ONG Adammeer œuvrant pour les droits des prisonniers palestiniens, ces tentatives de museler la société civile se font en toute impunité : « La réaction et les actions que prendront les pays européens face à cela sera vue comme un test, notamment par rapport à notre protection. Parce que ça ne veut rien dire d’envoyer un communiqué en se montrant solidaire de la société civile et d’autoriser ensuite Israël à faire ce qu’ils ont fait, sans être désignés comme les responsables et sans avoir à rendre de compte. » Et les sept ONG précisent qu’elles continueront toutes à faire leur travail, malgré les menaces et les possibles arrestations. 
      Un haut responsable de l’Autorité palestinienne, Hussein al-Sheikh, a également dénoncé les mesures israéliennes comme une « tentative de rendre inaudible la voix de la vérité et de la justice ». (...)

  • ‘Israel’ admits killing five Gazan children at cemetery in latest bombardment
    August 16, 2022 - Quds News Network

    L to R: Nazmi Karsh, 15; Hamed Nijm, 16, Mohammad Nijm, 16, Jamil Ihab Nijm, 13; Jamil al-Din Nijm, 3, killed east of Jabalya in August.

    Besieged Gaza Strip (QNN)- Israeli war officials have confirmed that ‘Israel’ was responsible for the killing of five Palestinian children in the last day of the recent bombardment on the Gaza Strip after initially blaming Islamic Jihad movement.

    An army inquiry into the incident, which occurred on August 7 in the Al-Faluja Cemetery east of Jabalya refugee camp, has concluded that the five minors were killed by an Israeli airstrike, several war sources confirmed to the Israeli newspaper Haaretz.

    At the time of the airstrike, the Israeli forces claimed that the five were most likely killed by a misfired Islamic Jihad rocket.

    Cousins Jamil Nijm Jamil Nijm, 4, Jamil Ihab Nijm, 13, Hamed Haidar Hamed Nijm, 16 and Muhammed Salah Nijm, 16 were killed while they sat next to their grandfather’s grave in the cemetery in the northern Gaza Strip. The boys’ friend Nazmi Fayez Abdulhadi Abukarsh, 16, also died. (...)


  • Palestinian teenager succumbs to serious injuries sustained by Israeli gunfire in Jenin
    July 3, 2022 - Quds News Network



    Jenin (QNN)- A Palestinian teenager succumbed on Sunday to critical injuries sustained by Israeli gunfire during confrontations erupted yesterday in Jaba’a town, south of occupied West Bank city of Jenin.

    The Palestinian Health Ministry confirmed that 18-year-old Kamel Alawneh succumbed today to injuries he sustained in the belly and right arm by the Israeli occupation gunfire on Saturday during confrontations in the Jaba’a town.

    The slain Palestinian was named after his brother Kamel who was also shot dead by the Israeli occupation forces in 2003 at the age of 18.

    The West Bank city of Jenin has been the centre of Israeli aggressions and military operations since the few past months, as 28 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces since the start of this year in Jenin alone, including Al Jazeera’s veteran journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, according to the Palestinian Health Ministry.


    • Palestinian Dies From Serious Wounds Suffered Saturday In Jenin
      Jul 3, 2022 – – IMEMC News

      On Sunday, Palestinian medical sources in Jenin said a young man died of serious wounds he suffered a day earlier after Israeli soldiers shot him in Jaba’ town, southwest of the northern West Bank city of Jenin.

      The sources said the Palestinian, Kamel Abdullah Alawna, 18, was shot with two expanding bullets, one in the abdomen, causing severe damage to his liver and intestines, and one in the right elbow.

      His brother Dr. Mo’taz Alawna said Kamel was instantly admitted to surgery and remained in the Intensive Care Unit until he succumbed to his wounds.

      He was shot by the soldiers while walking in an area where protests had been taking place after several army jeeps invaded the town.

      The soldiers fired many live rounds, rubber-coated steel bullets, gas bombs, and concussion grenades at the protesters and surrounding areas.

  • Norway to label products made in illegal Israeli settlements in West Bank
    June 12, 2022 - Quds News Network

    Oslo (QNN)- Norway has decided that products made in illegal Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank, Eastern part of Jerusalem and the Golan Heights must be labeled with their place of origin.

    In a statement announcing the move on Saturday, the Norwegian foreign ministry noted a 2019 ruling by the European Union’s top court requiring products from these areas to be labeled as originating from an “Israeli settlement.”

    “Foodstuffs originating in areas occupied by ‘Israel’ must be marked with the area from which the product comes, and that it comes from an Israeli settlement if that is the case,” the statement noted, “especially wine, olive oil, fruit, vegetables and potatoes.”

    Norway’s statement also said the country recognizes ‘Israeli’ territory as that under Israeli control prior to 1967, and considers Israeli settlements in the Golan Heights, Gaza, the West Bank, and eastern part of Jerusalem, as contrary to international law.

    “Norway considers the Israeli settlements in the occupied territories to be contrary to international law,” it stated.

    The European Union’s top court ruled in 2019 that EU countries must identify products made in Israeli settlements on their labels. Norway is not an EU member, but is part of the European Single Market.

    The European Court of Justice said that when products come from an Israeli settlement, their labels must provide an “indication of that provenance” so that consumers can make “informed choices” when they shop.

    The European Commission said it was up to individual EU countries to ensure that labels are correct, but that the origin of settlement produce must be made known in a way that is “not misleading to the consumer.”

    France and Belgium have already imposed labeling requirements. (...)

    • ‘Israel’ slams Norway’s decision to label goods made in West Bank illegal settlements
      June 12, 2022 - Quds News Network

      Occupied Palestine (QNN)- Israeli occupation government condemned on Saturday Norway’s decision to label products made in illegal Israeli settlements in the West Bank, saying such a move will harm Israeli-Norwegian ties.

      In a statement, Israeli occupation Foreign Ministry denounced Norway’s decision, claiming it “will not contribute to the advancement of ties between Israel and the Palestinians and will negatively impact bilateral ties between Israel and Norway, as well as Norway’s relevance to the promotion of relations between Israel and the Palestinians.”

      The occupation foreign ministry was referring to Norway’s long-standing role as a mediator between ‘Israel’ and Palestine. (...)

  • Palestinian child shot dead by Israeli forces in Bethlehem
    May 27, 2022 - Quds News Network

    Bethlehem (QNN)- Israeli occupation forces shot and killed a 15-year-old Palestinian child on Friday evening in the Al-Khader village, south of the occupied West Bank city of Bethlehem.

    The Palestinian Ministry of Health confirmed that Zaid Mohammad Ghuneim (15) was critically injured after being shot by Israeli live bullets in the back and neck.

    The child was rushed to a hospital to get urgent medical treatment. However, he died of his wounds moments after.

    Local sources and eyewitnesses reported that the 15-year-old child was killed by the Israeli forces in cold blood as he was surprised by their presence in the village and tried to hide in a parking garage before he was targeted by the Israeli live bullets.

    Ghuneim is the 13th Palestinian child killed by Israeli forces since the start of 2022, according to Defense for Children- Palestine (DCIP).


    • Updated: Israeli Forces Kill Palestinian Child near Bethlehem
      May 28, 2022

      Israeli troops shot and killed a Palestinian child on Friday while invading the town of Al-Khader, south of Bethlehem.

      The child, Zaid Mohammad Ghneim, 15 years old, was shot by Israeli forces with three bullets in his chest and back and was taken to Al-Yamamah Hospital, south of Bethlehem, where he died of his wounds.

      Local sources said that when the Israeli troops invaded the “Umm Rokba” area in the town of Al-Khader, south of Bethlehem, they were met by local youth who began throwing stones at the soldiers to try to get them to leave their village.

      Israeli troops responded with lethal force, shooting live ammunition at the children and teens, killing one, and wounding several others.

      The killing of the 15-year-old child comes in the midst of an escalation of violence by Israeli forces, who have been invading Palestinian areas on a daily basis and firing live ammunition at unarmed Palestinians during their invasions.

      Zaid was a ninth-grade student at Saeed Al-Aas Boys School in Bethlehem. He was the second student from that school to have been killed by Israeli forces in the past two months.

      His father said that he was sitting with his son just hours before he was killed by the soldiers and added that Zaid was heading to his grandfather’s home when the soldiers shot him.

  • “Remember 48,” Israeli MK warns Palestinians of another ‘Nakba’ if they fly Palestinian flag
    May 25, 2022 - Quds News Network

    Occupied Palestine (QNN)- A member of the Israeli parliament, Israel Katz, warned on Monday Palestinians of another “Nakba” if they fly the Palestinian flag.

    On Tuesday morning, the Likud lawmaker put up a video on his twitter featuring him speaking at the parliament, threatening and “warning the Arab students, who are flying Palestine flags at universities: Remember 48. Remember our independence war and your Nakba, don’t stretch the rope too much. […] If you don’t calm down we’ll teach you a lesson that won’t be forgotten.”

    He continued, “Ask your elders, your grandfathers and grandmothers, and they will explain to you that in the end, the Jews awaken, they know to defend themselves and the idea of the Jewish state. Don’t stretch the rope too much.”

    In response, Aida Touma-Sliman from the Joint List of Palestinian parties countered him, “Are you threatening?”

    Katz answered, “Listen, listen, this is also meant for you.”

    He then claimed how Arabs in ‘Israel’ have it better than in told Arab country, with welfare and democracy, and chided Touma-Sliman for being a Communist, who joins “the worst of Israel’s enemies – they speak of coexistence, while supporting the enemies of Israel… we will bring this to an end”.

    Then he came with that final sentence, “If you don’t calm down, we’ll teach you a lesson that won’t be forgotten”.

  • Israeli forces kill 17-year-old Palestinian boy during military raid into Jenin camp
    May 21, 2022 - Quds News Network

    Jenin (QNN)- Israeli occupation forces killed on Saturday morning a 17-year-old Palestinian boy during a military raid into the Jenin refugee camp in the occupied West Bank.

    The Palestinian Health Ministry cnofirmed that Amjad al-Fayed was shot by Israeli forces in the neck and chest.

    His father said, as local sources reported, that the forces shot him with 11 live bullets all over his body.


    • Israeli Soldiers Kill A Palestinian Teen In Jenin
      May 21, 2022 – – IMEMC News

      Israeli soldiers killed, Saturday dawn, a teenage boy and seriously injured another Palestinian after the army invaded the Jenin refugee camp in the northern West Bank governorate of Jenin, leading to protests.

      Medical sources in Jenin have confirmed the identity of the slain teen as Amjad Waleed al-Fayed, 17, and added that the soldiers shot the teen with nearly eleven live rounds in the upper body.

      The sources added that the army also shot and seriously injured another Palestinian, eighteen years of age, before being rushed to a hospital in Jenin.

      The Israeli army said the Amjad was killed during exchanges of fire that took place after the army invaded the refugee camp.

      It is worth mentioning that the slain Palestinian teen is the nephew of Amjad and Mohammad al-Fayed, who were killed in the massive Israeli offensive in the Jenin refugee camp in April of the year 2002.
      His death led to more protests in Jenin refugee camp, Jenin city, and surrounding villages and towns before the soldiers fired many live rounds, rubber-coated steel bullets, gas bombs, and concussion grenades.

      Hundreds of Palestinians headed in front of Ibn Sina Hospital in Jenin and carried the corpse of the slain teen before marching in various streets in the city and the Jenin refugee camp while chanting for ongoing resistance against the occupation and national unity.

  • BREAKING| 18-year-old Palestinian shot dead by Israeli forces in Al-Bireh town
    May 11, 2022 - Quds News Network

    Occupied West Bank (QNN)- Israeli occupation forces shot and killed a Palestinian youth in Jabal al-Tawil area in the town of Al-Bireh, near Ramallah, earlier on Wednesday.

    The Palestinian Health Ministry confirmed that 18-year-old Tha’er Khalil Al-Yazouri was shot directly in the heart and killed by Israeli forces’ live bullets in the Jabal al-Tawil area.


    • Israeli Soldiers Kill A Palestinian Teen Near Ramallah
      May 11, 2022

      Israeli soldiers killed a Palestinian teenage boy on Wednesday and injured another in the al-Biereh city, near Ramallah in the central West Bank.

      The Palestinian Health Ministry said the soldiers fatally shot Tha’er Khalil a-Yazouri, 16, in Jabal at-Tawil area in the al-Biereh city.

      It stated that the child, a student of the al-Hashimiyya School in al-Biereh, was shot with a live round in the heart and added that the soldiers shot another child, 17, with a live round in the leg.

      The soldiers also fired many live rounds, rubber-coated steel bullets, and gas bombs at many schoolchildren after several army jeeps invaded the area.

  • Palestine occupée : la journaliste Shireen Abu Akleh assassinée par les troupes d’occupation
    11 May 2022 | Par Al-Jazeera | Traduction : Chronique de Palestine

    Les forces israéliennes d’occupation ont abattu Shireen Abu Akleh d’un tir à la tête alors qu’elle était en mission à Jénine en Cisjordanie occupée.

    Les forces israéliennes ont abattu la journaliste d’Al Jazeera Shireen Abu Akleh en Cisjordanie occupée, selon le ministère palestinien de la Santé.

    Elle a été touchée par un tir à balle réelle mercredi alors qu’elle couvrait des raids israéliens dans la ville de Jénine et a été transportée d’urgence à l’hôpital dans un état critique, selon le ministère et des journalistes d’Al Jazeera.

    Elle a été déclarée morte à l’hôpital, a indiqué le ministère.

    Les circonstances de sa mort ne sont pas encore connues dans le détail, mais des vidéos de l’incident montrent qu’Abu Akleh a reçu une balle dans la tête, a déclaré Nida Ibrahim d’Al Jazeera.

    « Ce que nous savons pour l’instant, c’est que le ministère palestinien de la Santé a annoncé sa mort. Shireen Abu Akleh, couvrait les événements qui se déroulaient à Jénine, en particulier un raid israélien dans la ville, située au nord de la Cisjordanie occupée, lorsqu’elle a été touchée par une balle dans la tête », a déclaré Ibrahim, s’exprimant depuis la ville palestinienne de Ramallah. .

    « Comme vous pouvez l’imaginer, c’est un choc pour les journalistes qui ont travaillé avec elle. »

    S’exprimant à travers les larmes, Ibrahim a déclaré qu’Abu Akleh était une « journaliste très respectée » qui travaille avec Al Jazeera depuis le début de la deuxième Intifada palestinienne en 2000.

    Un autre journaliste palestinien a également été touché d’une balle réelle dans le dos, a indiqué le ministère de la Santé. Ali Samoudi, qui travaille pour le journal al-Quds basé à Jérusalem, serait dans un état stable.

    Le chef du bureau d’Al Jazeera à Ramallah, Walid al-Omary, a déclaré qu’il n’y avait pas eu de tirs de combattants armés palestiniens, contestant une déclaration israélienne faisant référence à cette possibilité. (...)


    • Cisjordanie : la journaliste Shireen Abu Akleh tuée lors d’affrontements - Le Point

      « L’armée [israélienne] mène une enquête sur ces événements et envisage la possibilité que les journalistes aient été atteints par des hommes armés palestiniens »

      #sionisme #criminel #vitrine_de_la_jungle
      #impunité #complicité

    • Al Jazeera reporter shot, killed by Israeli forces in West Bank city of Jenin
      May 11, 2022 - Quds News Network

      (...) Another journalist identified as Ali Asmoadi who works for the Jerusalem-based Al-Quds newspaper was also shot in the back by Israeli live bullet during the same raid and he is in a stable condition.

      Middle East Eye reporter Shatha Hanaysha said she and a group of six journalists, including Abu Akleh, were together when they came under fire by Israeli occupation snipers and that there was no fighting in the area.

      The [Israeli] gunfire didn’t stop. Although Shereen was lying on the ground, the gunfire didn’t even stop. People also couldn’t reach her from the other side,” Hanaysha said.

      “People were trying to reach her, even the private vehicle that took her to the hospital was hardly able to reach her [due to the continuing Israeli gunfire]”

      “One young man jumped off a wall and pulled me out. He then pulled Shereen out. This proved to me that we, journalists, were deliberately targeted,” Hanaysha confirmed.

      “We were a group of journalists. We were wearing a press vest. Until this moment, I’m still in my press vest. Shereen was even wearing a press-marked helmet. She was wearing a helmet.”

      “This means he who fired at her was intending to shoot her in an area of her body that’s uncovered. I consider what happened an assassination of all of us, journalists.”

      “If my colleague Mujahed and I had tried to reach her, we would’ve been directly targeted by gunfire. People were warning us that the [Israeli] snipers were not far away from us. We were opposite to the building where the Israeli snipers were positioned. This man was present there and he told us that the snipers were there. He was seeing them. The Israeli soldiers were opposite to us and were seeing us.”

      “We were standing in an area where the soldiers could identify us as journalists. I told one of my colleagues: “let’s go out of this area.””

      “But he insisted that we remained in the same area so that the soldiers could identify us as journalists.”

      “And then we would advance. We stood in an area opposite to the Israeli soldiers. We stood as a group and then we advanced. The gunfire started after we reached an area where we could not pull back.”

      “This means that if the gunfire was not aimed at our killing, then the snipers would’ve started the gunfire before we reached that area,” Hanaysha said.

      “What we know for now is that the Palestinian Health Ministry has announced her death. Shereen Abu Akleh, was covering the events unfolding in Jenin, specifically an Israeli raid the city, which is north of the occupied West Bank, when she was hit by a bullet to the head,” Al Jazeera’s Nida Ibrahim said, speaking from the Palestinian city of Ramallah.

      “As you can imagine, this is a shock to the journalists who have been working with her.”

      Speaking through tears, Ibrahim said Abu Akleh was a “very well respected journalist” who has been working with Al Jazeera since the beginning of the second Palestinian Intifada in 2000.

      Al Jazeera’s bureau chief in Ramallah, Walid al-Omary, said that there had been no shooting carried out by Palestinians, disputing an Israeli statement that claimed the possibility.

    • EU condemns Israel’s killing of Al Jazeera reporter, calls to “independent investigation”
      May 11, 2022 - Quds News Network

      Occupied Palestine (QNN)- The European Union expressed on Wednesday shock by Israel’s killing of Al Jazeera journalist, Shereen Abu Aqleh, calling for a “swift and independent investigation to bring the perpetrators to justice.”

      “Shocked by the killing of Al Jazeera journalist Shireen Abu Aqla who was reporting on ISF incursions in Jenin. We express our deepest condolences to her family and call for a swift and independent investigation to bring the perpetrators to justice,” the EU Delegation to the Palestinians tweeted today.

      “Imperative to ensure the safety and protection of journalists covering conflicts.”

    • Reporter killed in Israeli raid was U.S. citizen; ambassador urges ’thorough investigation’
      Jack KhouryNir Hasson May. 11, 2022 10:44 AM -Haaretz.com

      Shereen Abu Akleh, an al Jazeera reporter killed on Wednesday while covering an Israeli military raid in Jenin, was an American citizen, the U.S. Ambassador to Israel Tom Nides said.

      “Very sad to learn of the death of American and Palestinian journalist Shireen Abu Akleh,” Nides tweeted. “I encourage a thorough investigation into the circumstances of her death and the injury of at least one other journalist today in Jenin.”

      The European Union Delegation to the Palestinians called for an independent investigation into the incident in order to “bring the perpetrators to justice.” (...)

    • @LinahAlsaafin
      11:28 AM · 11 mai 2022

      Warning: Graphic video
      Clearly depicts continued Israeli firing after Shireen Abu Akleh went down. Screams of “Ambulance”. One man tries to retrieve Shireen, others scream at him to move back from Israeli sniper range.


      other journalist in video, Shatha Hanaysha, is paralyzed with fear and can’t reach Shireen bc of the sniper.

      “I couldn’t even extend my arm to pull her because of the shots,” Hanaysha said. “The one that killed her intended to bc he shot at area of body that was not protected.”

    • B’Tselem בצלם بتسيلم
      1:10 PM · 11 mai 2022

      This morning, B’Tselem’s field researcher in Jenin documented the exact locations in which the Palestinian gunman depicted in a video distributed by the Israeli army, fired, as well as the exact location in which Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh was killed.

      Location where journalist Shireen Abu Akleh was killed:
      Balat Al Shuhada’, Jenin

      Location of armed Palestinian firing in video distributed by Israeli army:

      Documentation of Palestinian gunfire distributed by Israeli military cannot be the gunfire that killed Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh

    • Shireen Abu Akleh killing: media deflect responsibility away from Israel

      Israeli forces have killed an Al Jazeera journalist in the occupied West Bank. They shot Shireen Abu Akleh in the head while she was reporting on a raid they were carrying out. Already, the corporate media has absolved Israeli forces of responsibility for her killing.

    • Mort de Shireen Abu Akleh : les vidéos et la géolocalisation réfutent les allégations israéliennes | Middle East Eye édition française

      L’analyse des vidéos, images et récits des témoins oculaires de la mort de la reporter d’Al Jazeera discrédite les allégations israéliennes selon lesquelles elle aurait été touchée par des tirs palestiniens

    • Is blood of iconic journalist redder than blood of anonymous Palestinians?
      Gideon Levy | May 11, 2022 | Haaretz.com

      Is blood of iconic journalist redder than blood of anonymous Palestinians?

      The relative horror expressed over the killing of Shireen Abu Akleh is justified and necessary. It is also belated and self-righteous. Now you’re appalled? The blood of a famous journalist, no matter how brave and experienced she was – and she was – is no redder than the blood of an anonymous high school student who was traveling home in a taxi full of women in this same Jenin a month ago when she was killed by gunfire from Israeli soldiers.

      That is how Hanan Khadour was killed. Then, too, the military spokesman tried to cast doubt on the shooters’ identity: “The matter is being examined.” A month has passed, and this “examination” has yielded nothing, and never will – but the doubts were planted, and they sprouted in the Israeli fields of denial and suppression, where no one actually cares about the fate of a 19-year-old Palestinian girl, and the country’s dead conscience is silenced again. Is there a single crime committed by the military that the right and the establishment will ever accept responsibility for? Just one?

      Abu Akleh seems to be another story: an internationally known journalist. Just this past Sunday a more local journalist, Basel al-Adra, was attacked by Israeli soldiers in the South Hebron Hills, and no one cared. And a couple days ago, two Israelis who attacked journalists during the Gaza war last May were sentenced to 22 months in prison. What punishment will be meted out to soldiers who killed, if indeed they did, Abu Akleh? And what punishment was given to whoever decided on and carried out the despicable bombing of the Associated Press offices in Gaza during the fighting last year? Has anyone paid for this crime? And what about the 13 journalists who were killed during the Gaza war in 2014? And the medical personnel who were killed during demonstrations at the Gaza border fence, including 21-year-old Razan al-Najjar, who was shot dead by soldiers while wearing her white uniform? No one has been punished. Such things will always be covered by a cloud of blind justification and automatic immunity for the military and worship of its soldiers.

      Even if the smoking Israeli bullet that killed Abu Akleh is found, and even if footage is found that shows the face of the shooter, he will be treated by Israelis as a hero who is above all suspicion. It’s tempting to write that if innocent Palestinians must be killed by Israeli soldiers, better for them to be well-known and holders of U.S. passports, like Abu Akleh. At least then the U.S. State Department will voice a little displeasure – but not too much – about the senseless killing of one of its citizens by the soldiers of one of its allies.

      At the time of writing, it was still unclear who killed Abu Akleh. This is Israel’s propaganda achievement – sowing doubts, which Israelis are quick to grab onto as fact and justification, though the world does not believe them and is usually correct. When the young Palestinian boy Mohammed al-Dura was killed in 2000, Israeli propaganda also tried to blur the identity of his killers; it never proved its claims, and no one bought them. Past experience shows that the soldiers who killed the young woman in a taxi are the same soldiers who might kill a journalist. It’s the same spirit; they are permitted to shoot as they please. Those who weren’t punished for Hanan’s killing continued with Shireen.

      But the crime begins long before the shooting. The crime starts with the raiding of every town, refugee camp, village and bedroom in the West Bank every night, when necessary but mainly when not necessary. The military correspondents will always say that this was done for the sake of “arresting suspects,” without specifying which suspects and what they’re suspected of, and resistance to these incursions will always be seen as “a breach of order” – the order in which the military can do as it pleases and the Palestinians cannot do anything, certainly not show any resistance.

      Abu Akleh died a hero, doing her job. She was a braver journalist than all Israeli journalists put together. She went to Jenin, and many other occupied places, where they have rarely if ever visited, and now they must bow their heads in respect and mourning. They also should have stopped spreading the propaganda spread by the military and government regarding the identity of her killers. Until proven otherwise, beyond any shadow of a doubt, the default conclusion must be: the Israeli military killed Shireen Abu Akleh.

  • Palestinian man shot, killed by Israeli forces in Nablus
    April 13 - Quds News Network

    Nablus (QNN)- Israeli occupation forces shot and killed a Palestinian man during a military raid into the occupied West Bank city of Nablus, earlier on Wednesday.

    The Israeli occupation forces raided the towns of Beita, al-Lubban al-Sharqiya, and Urif, south of Nablus, in addition to the eastern area of Nablus, earlier today.

    The Palestinian Health Ministry confirmed that 34-year-old Mohammad Hasan Assaf was shot by the Israeli forces in the chest during the raid.

    However, soon after he succumbed to his injuries.

    Assaf is an attorney with the Wall and Settlements Resistance Commission.

    Local sources reported that five Palestinians were also shot with Israeli live bullets and another five were shot with rubber bullets, including one in the eye.

    Another resident got bruised after being run over by an Israeli military vehicle while another was burnt by a tear gas canister.

    Eight others suffocated from gas inhalation in the vicinity of Joseph’s Tomb.


    • Israeli Soldiers Kill A Palestinian Lawyer In Nablus
      Apr 13, 2022

      Israeli soldiers killed, Wednesday morning, a Palestinian lawyer after firing many live rounds at his car in the Industrial Area in Nablus city, in the northern part of the occupied West Bank.

      The slain Palestinian, Mohammad Hasan Assaf, 34 , was from Kafr Laqif village in Qalqilia, in the northern part of the West Bank. The soldiers shot him with a live round in the chest.

      Mohammad, a father of three children, the oldest of them is only four years of age, was killed by the soldiers while returning home after driving his sons and nephews to school; he was returning from the Industrial Area in Nablus when the soldiers fired at his car and killed him. (...)

    • Excessive Use of Force: IOF Kill Palestinian Lawyer in Nablus
      13 April 2022 - Palestinian Centre for Human Rights

      On Wednesday morning, 13 April 2022, Israeli occupation forces (IOF) killed a Palestinian lawyer without any justification while their troops withdrew from Nablus after conducting a wide-scale incursion into the city. During the incursion, IOF attacks resulted in several injuries among Palestinians and killed the lawyer who was in the area dropping off his nephews to their school. (...)

    • An Israeli soldier opened fire from a moving jeep, killing a lawyer taking kids to school
      Gideon Levy, Alex Levac | Apr. 21, 2022 | Haaretz.com

      Attorney Mohammed Assaf would take his son and two nephews to school in Nablus every morning. Last week they encountered clashes by Joseph’s Tomb. When Assaf left his car; a soldier in a speeding jeep opened the door and shot him

      At the entrance to the well-kept family compound, an SUV stands in the carport, wrapped in black like an installation by Christo. The new car might be covered as protection from the sun and dust, or as a sign of mourning. The vehicle under the black fabric is the gray Hyundai Tucson that belonged to attorney Mohammed Assaf. He drove to his death last week in that vehicle, which he was still paying off. It was the car in which, every morning, he took his young son to kindergarten and his two nephews to high school in Nablus. Then he would continue to the offices of the Colonization and Wall Resistance Commission, a Palestinian Authority agency where he worked as a legal adviser.

      Next to the covered car is Assaf’s home, an ornate, stylish stone structure, its facade painted blue. Fruit trees grow in the yard. Adjacent to the blue dwelling is the house of his elderly parents, who have lost their loved one, their only child who attended university, the pride of the family.

      Assaf had been working hard on his master’s thesis at the law faculty of An-Najah National University, in Nablus, for some months. His topic was the rights of Palestinians who own land on the Israeli side of the separation barrier. One of his brothers shows us the chapter headings he had written in hand over several pages, a few days before a soldier opened the door of a speeding jeep on a Nablus street and shot Assaf to death.

      This is a home in a state of shock. In their parents’ living room, Mohammed’s two bereaved brothers occasionally break into silent tears. The three little ones, newly orphaned, borne in the adults’ arms, don’t understand what happened to their father. The mourning parents, Maryam, 62, and Hasan, 70, and the new widow, Sara Knaan, 30, are closeted in their rooms and decline to meet guests.

      All it takes is a split-second of rage, compounded perhaps by a sense of overlordship, a disregard for life and a craving for revenge felt by a hot-tempered soldier in an armored jeep at which youngsters threw stones that endangered no one – and a family is forever shattered. A photograph of their loved one, wearing the black cap and gown of a university graduate, from the diploma-awarding ceremony at An-Najah, hangs on the parents’ living room wall. There are other photos from the ceremony. One shows Rami Hamdallah, at the time the university’s president, and later the Palestinian prime minister, awarding Mohammed his degree 10 years ago. The life that then graced this village son was cut down in its prime last week.

      Kafr Laqif is a special village. Verdant ficus and eucalyptus trees shade the streets and the handsome homes; it all seems green and tranquil. And the rare fact is that hardly anyone from this village has been killed: one person was killed in 1967, one in the first intifada and now the village jurist. Around 1,500 people live here, most of whom work in the many nearby settlements and a few in Israel. The village’s proximity to the separation fence also brings settlers and perhaps other Israelis here for shopping and car repairs. The settlement of Karnei Shomron (“horns of Samaria”) looms across the way, also Ma’aleh Shomron (“heights of Samaria”) and Ginot Shomron (“gardens of Samaria”). No fewer than three road signs in Hebrew and Arabic lead to the village from the main road – another rarity, as road signs to Palestinian villages are almost nonexistent in the West Bank.

      Mohammed Assaf was 34. His brother Firas, 40, receives us grimly. The eldest brother, Fadi, 43, quickly joins us. The deceased left behind three children: five-year-old Hasan, Maryam who is two and a half, and year-old Amin. Every morning around 8 A.M., Mohammed set out for Nablus in his SUV, which is not yet a year old. On the way, he dropped off Hasan at the private, highly regarded Glimmers of Hope kindergarten. Then he went on to the vocational high school attended by his 17-year-old nephews: Yamen, who is Firas’ son, and Hasan, who is Fadi’s son. In the afternoon, he drove them back to the village. Last Wednesday, April 13, they set out as usual, but Mohammed didn’t make it home.

      During the night, young Palestinians set the site of Joseph’s Tomb ablaze. The army arrived in the morning. Joseph’s Tomb is a few hundred meters from his nephews’ high school. When the army invades Nablus, young people take to the streets and pelt the troops with stones and Molotov cocktails. At about 9 A.M., the military convoy made its way out of the city. Around 10, armored vehicles led by an armored bulldozer careened through the streets on the way out of Nablus.

      Shortly after 9, Fadi got a phone call from an acquaintance at the metalworks place where he works, in Ginot Shomron: Your brother was shot and wounded in Nablus. He immediately called his son, who was supposed to be with his uncle, but got no reply. His son was in fact dumbstruck at having seen his uncle shot to death before his eyes minutes earlier. A friend answered the phone instead and confirmed that Mohammed was dead. The other brother, Firas, who works in a textile plant in the Israeli-owned industrial zone of Barkan, received a call from his son, Hasan, who also witnessed Mohammed’s killing.

      Yamen, a tall, strapping 12th grader studying automotive mechanics, stands in a corner of the room, holding his fatherless cousin Maryam, and recounts what happened. They were on the way to school when they suddenly encountered clashes between Palestinians and Israeli troops. Dozens of young people were throwing stones at the military convoy. They blocked the road with burnt tires and stones. Mohammed parked and the three got out of the car. They had already dropped off Hasan at his kindergarten. According to Yamen, his uncle started to film the confrontation with his phone; according to a different account, he joined in the stone throwing. In any event, only 5 to 7 minutes elapsed between the time Mohammed Assaf stepped out of the car and the instant in which he was shot and killed.

      Attorney Assaf had attended dozens of demonstrations as part of his job, but this time he happened upon it, his family stresses. A former Palestinian minister, Walid Assad, who headed the Colonization and Wall Resistance Commission, paid his condolences while we were there. He also pointed out that his distant relative came across the event completely by chance, and not as part of his work for the PA.

      Video footage shows one of the army jeeps hurtling by, amid a volley of stones. Suddently, as it speeds past, its door opens and the soldier sitting next to the driver opens fire. He fired three rounds, Yamen says. In any case, it’s certainly impossible to take aim when traveling at that speed.

      Haaretz asked the IDF Spokesperson’s Office whether the use of live ammunition during high-speed travel, when there is no mortal danger, meets the criteria of the army’s rules of engagement. The office responded: “A Military Police investigation has been launched into the event. At its conclusion, the findings will be provided to the office of the military advocate general for review.”

      One of the bullets struck Assaf in the heart. He collapsed onto the road, blood spurting from his mouth. His two nephews rushed to him, but there was nothing they could do. The bullet apparently exploded within his body and wreaked devastation. The soldiers continued on their way as though nothing had happened. They didn’t even slow down. A Palestinian ambulance was summoned to the scene. The paramedics tried to resuscitate Assaf, but he was declared dead on arrival at Rafadiya Hospital in the city.

      Just then, Murad Shtewi, one of the leaders of Kafr Kadum’s relentless struggle against the army’s longtime blockage of the access road to the village, was traveling with his driver from Nablus to Ramallah. Shtewi is also the director general of the Colonization and Wall Resistance Commission, where Assaf worked. Hearing the news, he asked the chauffeur to pull over. He couldn’t believe his ears. Never, he says, had he ever imagined that his excellent legal adviser would die so young.

      “They stole his soul too early,” Shtewi says. Only after seeing the video of the attempts to revive Assaf did he grasp that he was truly dead. A report by an Israeli news site stirred outrage here: “Our forces have killed a person in Nablus. The terrorist was critically wounded in disturbances near Joseph’s Tomb and died of his wounds after being evacuated in critical condition.” Their Mohammed, an advocate of nonviolent struggle, was labeled a “terrorist.”

      How are the parents? Fadi bursts into tears; Firas joins in. “They haven’t yet digested this tragedy. May God help them.” They broke the news gradually. Initially, they told them that Mohammed had suffered minor injuries, then that they were serious, until finally they told them the truth. Yamen, the nephew, relates that on the drive that morning, his uncle’s last journey, which lasted 45 minutes, they sat quietly in the car. They rode in silence.

  • Israeli forces kill two Palestinians, including 17-year-old teen, in Jenin March 31, 2022 - Quds News Network

    Jenin (QNN)- Israeli occupation forces shot and killed two Palestinian youths during a military raid into the northern West Bank city of Jenin, earlier on Thursday.

    The Palestinian Health Ministry confirmed that Israeli forces killed two Palestinians: Sanad Abu Atiya (17) and Yazeed al-Saadi (23) .

    Local sources said large Israeli occupation forces raided Jenin city and its refugee camp earlier today in a daylight arrest operation.

    The source said the forces entered the city’s refugee camp from several directions.

    Confrontations erupted between the residents and the forces.

    The forces shot live bullets and tear gas canisters at the residents.

    This resulted in injuring 15 people, with three of them in a serious condition and one moderate to critical.

    Abu Atiya and al-Saadi succumbed to their injuries when they arrived at the hospital.

    Both of the two martyrs are from the Jenin refugee camp.

    The Ministry of Health noted the forces shot tear gas canisters near Jenin government hospital.

    The gas penetrated into the emergency room and this caused panic among the patients.


  • Les forces israéliennes tirent, tuent un jeune Palestinien dans le camp de réfugiés de Qalandia
    QudsN 15 mars 2022

    Jérusalem occupée (QNN) - Les forces d’occupation israéliennes ont abattu un jeune Palestinien lors d’un raid militaire dans le camp de réfugiés de Qalandia, au nord de Jérusalem, plus tôt ce mardi.

    Plus tôt dans la journée, selon des sources locales, une unité des forces spéciales israéliennes a effectué un raid dans le camp de réfugiés de Qalandia.

    Les soldats se sont placés sur les toits des maisons palestiniennes et ont commencé à ouvrir le feu sur les résidents locaux.

    Le ministère palestinien de la Santé a déclaré que les forces d’occupation israéliennes ont tiré sur un Palestinien de 22 ans, identifié comme Alaa Shaham , avec une balle réelle dans la tête.

    Shaham a été transféré au complexe médical palestinien de Ramallah pour recevoir un traitement médical d’urgence, son état étant qualifié de critique.

    Peu de temps après, il a succombé à ses graves blessures.

    Le ministère de la Santé a également déclaré que les soldats de l’occupation ont tiré à balles réelles dans les jambes de six autres personnes, qui ont toutes été transférées à l’hôpital.

    Les soldats ont également arrêté deux autres personnes au cours du même raid.


  • The second in 24 hours, Palestinian child shot dead by Israeli forces in Abu Deis
    March 7, 2022 - Quds News Network

    Occupied Jerusalem (QNN)- Israeli occupation forces shot and killed a Palestinian child in the Abu Deis town, south-east occupied Jerusalem, last night.

    The Palestinian Health Ministry announced that 16-year-old Yamen Jafal was shot dead, last night, by Israeli forces’ live bullets for allegedly throwing Molotov cocktails at a forces checkpoint.

    After shooting him, the occupation soldiers prevented Palestinian medics from approaching him and fired tear gas canisters towards the ambulance before confiscating his body.

    Hours later, the Palestinian child was moved to a hospital in occupied Jerusalem and was announced dead.

    Following his killing, confrontation erupted between local youths and the Israeli occupation soldiers who attacked the youths by firing tear gas canisters intensively towards them, injuring several. (...)


    • Soldiers Kill A Palestinian Child In Jerusalem
      Mar 7, 2022

      Israeli soldiers killed, on Sunday evening, a Palestinian child in Abu Dis town, east of occupied East Jerusalem, in the West Bank.

      Media sources said several army jeeps invaded the town, leading to protests before the soldiers fired many live rounds, rubber-coated steel bullets, gas bombs, and concussion grenades.

      They added that the soldiers shot Yamen Nafez Jaffal, 16, with a live round and prevented Palestinian medics from approaching him, and he subsequently bled to death. The soldiers later took his corpse away. (...)

  • UPDATE| Israeli soldiers assassinate three Palestinian youths in Nablus
    February 8, 2022 - Quds News Network

    Nablus (QNN)- Three Palestinian youths were assassinated on Tuesday afternoon, after being shot dead by Israeli forces’ bullets during a clandestine military operation in Al-Makhfia neighborhood in Nablus, north of the occupied West Bank.

    Local sources and witnesses confirmed that the Israeli Special Forces Unit of Yamam, with over 15 soldiers, shot dead three Palestinian youths during a military operation in the Makhfia neighborhood.

    The witnesses said the three youths were inside a car when the Israeli Special Forces Unit, hidden in a civilian vehicle, showered the car with over 80 bullets, and killed them on the spot, before leaving the scene in civilian vehicles (VW Caddy & VW Shattle) and making sure the three are dead.

    The Palestinian Health Ministry confirmed the three deaths, calling the Israeli operation “an assassination,” echoing a statement from the Palestinian foreign ministry which described it as a “field execution”.

    The three youths have been identified as Adham Mabrouk, Mohammed Dakheel and Ashraf Mubaslat . (...)


    • New Crime of Extrajudicial Execution … Special Israeli Force Kill Three Palestinians in Nablus
      08 February 2022 – Palestinian Centre for Human Rights

      (...) PCHR strongly condemns the Israeli Occupation Forces’ (IOF) return to extrajudicial executions, which is an official and declared policy of Israel that killed hundreds of Palestinian political figures and activists, in grave violation of the principles of the intentional humanitarian law (IHL) that prohibit this kind of murder crime.

      According to PCHR’s investigations, at around 13:25 on Tuesday, 08 February 2022, a special Israeli force sneaked into al-Makhfiyah Street, west of Nablus, via 2 civilian vehicles; one was a yellow bus, and the other was a grey Caddy. The first vehicle intercepted from the front a silver Siat car traveling on the street while the second vehicle intercepted the car from behind. Soldiers in military uniform stepped out of the 2 vehicles and directly opened fire at the 3 persons inside the car; one was the driver, the second was sitting beside him and the third was in the backseat. The shooting was mainly on their heads, killing them immediately. Five minutes later and after making sure the 3 persons died, the special force withdrew from the area. The persons killed were identified as Ashraf Mohammed ‘Abdel Fattah Mbaslat (21), Mohammed Ra’ed Hussein Dakhil (22) and Adham Mabrouki (al-Shishani) (21), who are suspectedly affiliated with al-Aqsa Martyers’ Brigades and had been haunted by IOF for a while. All of them were from Nablus’s Old City.

      IOF admitted commission of the assassination, and the Israeli Broadcast Corporate -Makan stated: “a special force from IDF, Police and Shin Bet assassinated 3 members of a terrorist cell,” which allegedly carried out a series of shooting attacks in recent weeks near the city. (...)

  • UK urges ’Israel’ to cease forced displacement of Palestinian family from its house in Jerusalem’s Sheikh Jarrah
    QudsNJanuary 18, 2022 - Quds News Network

    Occupied Jerusalem (QNN)- The United Kingdom government has urged Israeli occupation authorities to cease forced displacement of Palestinian family from its house in Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood in East Jerusalem, saying such practices “only serve to increase tensions on the ground.”

    The British Consul General in Jerusalem, Diane Corner, joined on Monday other representatives of the European Union and like minded countries to bear witness to the ongoing forced displacement of the Salhia family, who live and run a business opposite the British Consulate in East Jerusalem.

    In a tweet, the British Consulate General in Jerusalem said that “Evictions in Occupied Territory are against international humanitarian law in all but the most exceptional circumstances.”

    “The UK urges the Government of Israel to cease such practices which only serve to increase tensions on the ground.” (...)


    • À Jérusalem-Est, une famille palestinienne risquant l’expulsion menace de s’immoler
      France 24 – Publié le : 17/01/2022 - 19:25

      Les membres d’une famille palestinienne menacée d’expulsion dans le quartier de Cheikh Jarrah, à Jérusalem-Est, se sont retranchés lundi avec un baril d’essence sur le toit de leur maison, menaçant de s’immoler.

      La police israélienne continuait de négocier, lundi 17 janvier au soir, avec les membres d’une famille palestinienne menacée d’éviction dans le quartier sensible de Cheikh Jarrah, à Jérusalem-Est. Ceux-ci sont retranchés avec un baril d’essence sur le toit de leur maison.

      Plus tôt lundi, peu après l’arrivée sur place de policiers pour tenter d’expulser la famille menacée d’éviction depuis 2017, Mohamed Salhiya s’est installé sur son toit avec un baril d’essence, a constaté un journaliste de l’AFP. Il a ensuite été rejoint par des membres de sa famille qui « ont menacé de s’immoler et de mettre le feu à la maison si les forces d’occupation (nom donné par des Palestiniens à Israël, NDLR) en prenaient le contrôle », a déclaré à l’AFP Mona Al Kurdi, une militante palestinienne vivant dans le quartier. « La famille vit dans cette maison depuis des décennies », a-t-elle ajouté. (...)

  • Elderly Palestinian Man Killed After Israeli Soldiers Assaulted Him Near Ramallah
    Jan 12, 2022 – – IMEMC News

    Palestinian medical sources have confirmed, on Wednesday at dawn, that an elderly man was killed after Israeli soldiers detained and repeatedly assaulted him near Ramallah, in the central part of the occupied West Bank.

    The sources said the man has been identified as Omar Abul-Majid As’ad, 80, from Jaljulia village, north of Ramallah.

    The Mayor of Jaljulia, Fuad Motea’, said the soldiers invaded the village and abducted Omar, before constantly assaulting him in an under-construction home, before leaving him on the ground.

    Motea’ also added that the elderly man was detained by the soldiers in the al-Ein area in Jaljulia before he was cuffed, blindfolded, and assaulted by the soldiers.

    He stated that Palestinian medics rushed to the scene, but were unable to resuscitate the man, before moving his corpse to Palestine Medical Complex in Ramallah.

    His nephew, Mohammad, told Palestine TV that several army vehicles invaded the village after midnight, before forcing him out of a car, cuffed and blindfolded him, and started to drag him on the ground before taking him to the under-construction building.

    He added that after the soldiers repeatedly struck his uncle in the under-construction home, and after realizing that he was dead they just left him on the ground and left the area. (...)


    • Les États-Unis demandent à « Israël » des explications sur le meurtre d’un Américain palestinien âgé en Cisjordanie.

      Washington (QNN)- Les États-Unis ont demandé mercredi à « Israël » des éclaircissements après la mort d’un Américain palestinien de 80 ans, détenu et brutalement battu par les forces d’occupation israéliennes lors d’un raid militaire en Cisjordanie occupée.
      Hier, un Palestinien âgé, identifié comme Omar Abul-Majid As’ad, est mort après avoir été détenu et brutalement battu par les forces d’occupation israéliennes qui lui ont également bandé les yeux et passé les menottes lors d’un raid militaire nocturne dans le village de Jiljilyya, au nord de Ramallah en Cisjordanie occupée.
      L’homme âgé est mort d’une crise cardiaque, comme l’a confirmé le ministère palestinien de la Santé dans un communiqué. (…)

    • A question for the soldiers who abused an 80-year-old Palestinian man
      Gideon Levy | Jan. 24, 2022 | Haaretz.com

      If I could only meet with the soldiers of the Netzah Yehuda battalion who abused 80-year-old Omar Abdalmajeed As’ad to the point of death, I would ask them just one question: What would have happened is As’ad was your grandfather? We don’t need to preach or give more educational seminars, this question is more than enough to upend their world.

      From past experience, they would have responded with aggression, confusion and loss of control. This question is outside the realm of thought in which they were trained. It is impossible to stand in the dark of night at a checkpoint, to abuse an old man and think about your grandfather. They would say: how can you compare them, my grandfather isn’t a terrorist, we didn’t have a choice, those were the orders, what did you want us to do, Israel’s security.

      But these soldiers have to be asked this question time after time. They are haredim who serve in a battalion with this pompous – almost laughable – name, Netzah Yehuda ("Eternity for Judah"), which already has a not-so-short record of abusive acts against Palestinians. It’s no coincidence that the IDF sends a Haredi battalion with a biblical name to face the Palestinian population and oppress it. For them, the abuse is done in the name of God.

      Reading the testimony of the soldiers in the army’s inquiry, a quick and efficient inquiry of the type the IDF never conducts, turns the stomach. But the soldiers’ bad luck is that this time their victim carried an American passport, and the Americans, as opposed to the Israelis, want to know the truth. A sort of very strange trait. That is why the IDF had to investigate, and even quickly – almost an event of science fiction when it concerns IDF investigations about the abuse and killing of Palestinians.

      The victim’s advanced age, 80, was also to the soldiers’ detriment. One of them may have claimed that As’ad looked to him to be 20 years younger than his age, so he thought it was permitted to throw him to the ground on a cold night, gagged, blindfolded and handcuffed, given treatment he wouldn’t give to a stray dog. But even the most coldhearted couldn’t remain apathetic, even if only because of the man’s age.

      It is impossible to remain unmoved in light of the soldiers’ testimonies. It turns out that there are levels of bestialization and brutality, but this case broke a record. In their defense, the abusers claimed that they didn’t notice the signs of distress of the man they had turned into a sack of potatoes, threw to the ground and left there for over an hour, choked and cuffed. But what signs of distress can a bound man whose mouth is sealed shut and whose eyes are covered show? For his ears to shake? For his hair to stand on end? Poor As’ad shouted at them that he was not a terrorist when they stopped him making his way home late at night – because what did they expect? That he prostrate himself on the ground and kiss the soldiers’ feet? And what would their grandfathers have done?

      Haaretz’s Yaniv Kubovich reported that the soldiers said they received an order – it’s not clear from whom, perhaps from the Lord of Armies Himself – to handcuff anyone who arrived at the roadblock and to gag their mouth, so those inside the village wouldn’t know about the fighters’ “operational” activities.

      Defense sources told Haaretz that this was a “bad incident, a serious incident,” seemingly because of the bad name that it could give to the moral army in America – but don’t worry, the Americans will also quickly forget. In any case, the Military Advocate General Corps has already rushed to correct the impression and shirk responsibility for the entire matter: “The circumstances of his death are not related to the actions of the military force,” they ruled. They know, they investigated, it is over and done.

      Everyone played their part: The soldiers abused, the old man died, the Americans protested and the IDF investigated. No one will be put on trial, and certainly no one will be punished as they deserve. After all, As’ad died from a heart attack and everything that came before had absolutely no connection to his death, and was also proper, moral and legal.

      I have only request from the soldiers: In spite of everything, please think – if just for a moment – what would have happened if As’ad had been your grandfather, and that he died this way.

    • ’We will all die. But why like that?’

      Details still emerge weeks after Israeli troops violently arrested an 80-year-old Palestinian. Omar Abdalmajeed As’ad was bound, beaten and tossed to the ground. An autopsy found that the brutality he suffered resulted in a fatal heart attack, but arrests are yet to be made

      Gideon Levy, Alex Levac | Jan. 28, 2022 | 12:56 AM | 7

      Mamduh Abd A-Rachman, one of the other Palestinians brought to the site where Omar As’ad lost his life. “We’ll all die,” As’ad’s brother says. “But why like that?”Credit: Alex Levac

      It was a few minutes after 3 A.M. Omar Abdalmajeed As’ad was driving from the home of a friend on the western side of his village to his house, on the eastern side. A few hours earlier he had dropped off his wife at home after they’d gone shopping together and had coffee with friends. At around 10 P.M. he went to visit a friend. Since returning from the United States, 11 years ago, As’ad had been spending a lot of time with childhood friends from the village. They sipped coffee, played cards and talked late into the night, each time at someone else’s house. The night of January 12 was no different. At 3 A.M. he drove home.

      On the dark, empty road, he suddenly noticed a few Israel Defense Forces soldiers at the street corner where Ali’s Grocery is located, in the center of town. Jiljilya, located in the Ramallah District and one of the most affluent locales in the West Bank, is replete with palaces. Some of its residents immigrated to the United States years ago, where they prospered and then built themselves mansions back home. A drive around affords quite a spectacle: Houses of marble that look like they’re made of marzipan, each more luxurious than the next, most of them empty, awaiting their owners’ family visits in the summer, or waiting for them to retire.

      Omar and his wife Mahani also wanted to grow old together in their village, after they left it for America in 1970. For the first 11 years they lived in Chicago, then they moved to Milwaukee, where they owned a few supermarkets. Mahani is 78, Omar was 80, and they were married for 58 years. They built their home in Jiljilya 15 years ago – a relatively modest residence compared to most of the other neighboring villas. They lived there alone: Their five daughters, two sons and their grandchildren remained in America. Everyone in the family, including the grandparents, has U.S. citizenship.

      It was very cold, that Wednesday night. The soldiers ordered As’ad to stop. The previous night, too, IDF jeeps had invaded Jiljilya, which is typically one of the quietest locales in the West Bank. Maybe that’s why the fighters from the army’s ultra-Orthodox Netzah Yehuda (“Judah’s Eternity”) Battalion 97 raided it: It’s easy to train, to mete out abuse for no reason, to demonstrate control and power, or just enjoy a break from the routine and the boredom there. This ludicrously named battalion has a rich record of acts of abuse against Palestinians. This time it was the turn of the inhabitants of Jiljilya.

      The forces decided to detain without prior warning anyone who dared drive in the street that night. The soldiers claimed afterward, in testimony they gave to the army, that this was the order they had received – from whom it isn’t clear. According to residents, dozens of troops descended on the village that night; five to seven of them manned a makeshift checkpoint they’d erected in town.

      An eyewitness, Rada Bakri, 63, who lives above the site where the soldiers positioned themselves, was awake and had read in the social networks that the army had invaded again. He peeked out of the window of his second-floor apartment – according to an account he later gave to Iyad Hadad, the Ramallah District field researcher for the Israeli human rights organization B’Tselem – and saw a few soldiers leap into the middle of the road and stop As’ad’s car. Shouts quickly erupted between them and the elderly man who wanted only to get home.

      After about five minutes a soldier opened the door of the vehicle and forcibly removed the driver, according to Bakri. The soldiers shackled his hands with black plastic handcuffs, later found at the place where he died, blindfolded him and stuffed pieces of flannelette into his mouth.

      About 120 meters separate the spot where As’ad was initially detained and the place where the soldiers force-marched or dragged him. That occurred along the dirt path that leads to the new mansion of Mohammed As’ad, a relative of Omar’s, who also returned, in his case recently, from the United States and is living in Ramallah until his luxurious two-story home will be ready – very soon now. Soldiers had wandered about near the empty structure the night before; on this night they would haul five Palestinians into its marble-floored courtyard.

      It was very dark, and eyewitness Bakri still can’t say whether As’ad walked on his own or was dragged by force. As’ad was a heavyset man with a plodding walk, his family related early this week when we visited. They found one of his shoes in his car – meaning that if he was walking, it was with one foot exposed to the wet, cold earth. They added that the soldiers had subjected him to a body search: He was left without a coat, wearing only a shirt and sweater; they stripped off his red keffiyeh, which was found later in a corner of the courtyard.

      As’ad would have passed through the stone gate into the courtyard of the imposing new house, with its red-tiled roof and stone pillars in front. There, the soldiers threw him onto the ground, face-down, like one would toss a sack, next to the bags of sand being use in the construction, which are still there. Hadad believes that As’ad died within a short time, perhaps soon after he was hurled to the ground. An 80-year-old man on a frigid night, frightened, humiliated, probably panicked. “Why didn’t they at least allow him to sit, bring him a chair?” mourners asked this week, in the family’s house.

      In the meantime, a van approached the soldiers’ checkpoint at the bottom of the road, carrying two Palestinian greengrocers who were on their way to the wholesale market in the town of Beita. It was about 3:30 A.M. Mamduh Abd A-Rachman, 52, from the nearby village of Arurah, was in the passenger’s seat. This week he accompanied us to the site where As’ad was taken that night – followed by him and his colleague – in order to reconstruct the elderly man’s last moments.

      The soldiers stopped the van and ordered the driver to proceed to the mansion, where the two occupants were told to get out and hand over the keys and their ID cards. They were forced to sit in the courtyard; Abd A-Rachman showed us how he sat on his leg, because the marble was unbearably cold. The two newly snared captives were ordered to sit a few meters apart. They weren’t handcuffed, but a soldier trained his weapon on them. They were told to keep their eyes on the ground. They couldn’t see anything. On the way from the van, Abd A-Rachman said he tried to tell the soldiers that he was ill, but that of course was of no interest to them; they forced his head down and ordered him to shut up.

      A large number of soldiers had meanwhile gathered in the courtyard, which had become a temporary detention facility. A few minutes later, two more Palestinians were brought in, also greengrocers on their way to Beita. They too were made to sit on the ground and keep their eyes down. The detainees were seated a few meters apart, apparently to prevent them from mounting an uprising. One of the soldiers now drove As’ad’s car, which had remained at the checkpoint, to the mansion.

      And thus they sat, on the cold floor – four living detainees with eyes downcast and one who was most likely dead by that time. They were drowsy and freezing; Abd A-Rachman fell asleep. The four didn’t know that someone had been brought there before them. Abd A-Rachman recalled that at one point he felt that he was touching something, but never imagined it was a dead body, thinking it was one of the bags of sand scattered about. A short time later, two soldiers sat down near Abd A-Rachman. Afterward it would emerge that they had come to remove As’ad’s handcuffs: Apparently they realized he was dead and wanted to get out as fast as possible, while eliminating any evidence.

      An autopsy performed this week by three Palestinian physicians, under the auspices of the Palestinian Authority, revealed that As’ad, who had pre-existing health problems, died as a result of a heart attack. The examiners noted that he had received blows to the head and arms and that the blindfold he wore was so tight it caused bleeding. They determined that the reason for death was “a sudden cessation of myocardial activity due to psychological tension brought on by the external violence to which he had been exposed.” Another source added that the initial autopsy findings suggested that As’ad was “severely beaten” and suffered from “rough and violent treatment” – as evidenced by numerous bruises.

      The IDF Spokesperson’s Unit issued the usual statement this week: A Military Police investigation is now underway. A spokesperson for Military Defense, which is representing the soldiers, stated: “They [the soldiers] were engaged in operational activity with the aim of preventing terrorism. The Palestinian in question was detained lawfully during the activity in accordance with procedures, in light of his behavior, which endangered the soldiers and the force, and he was released at the conclusion of the activity in sound condition and with no need for medical intervention. The circumstances of his death are not related to the conduct of the military forces.”

      While retreating from the courtyard, the soldiers aimed their rifles at the detainees. Abd A-Rachman says he got up to ensure that they were indeed gone, and then noticed something covered up next to him. He was aghast to discover it was a human body. As’ad’s face was covered with some sort of cloth, perhaps the coat he had been stripped of. Abd A-Rachman remembers that he shouted that there was a body, but the others replied that it was probably a sack of cement. “No, it’s a person!” he screamed.

      A check of the man’s pulse and breathing revealed that he was lifeless. Within a few minutes the village doctor, who lives several dozen meters from the site, arrived and tried to resuscitate As’ad, but in vain. The group then carried him on a stretcher to the physician’s clinic and administered electric shocks, but to no avail. As’ad was dead. It was 4:09 A.M. The soldiers left the ID cards and car keys they had confiscated on the roof of As’ad’s car, it was later discovered.

      In her home in Milwaukee, As’ad’s daughter, Hiba, 32, read on social media that someone from her parents’ village had died. She called the house immediately. Mahani, her mother, awoke in a fright. This week the widow told us tearfully that she was sure her daughter was calling because she had quarreled with her husband. But Hiba asked where her father was. The devastating answer came soon enough. Now Mahani is sitting in her living room in a traditional black dress and weeping. The family has already hired a caregiver for her, as she remains alone in the house.

      Two days before As’ad’s death, his younger brother Amer, a 59-year-old gardener with an American accent who lives in Racine, Wisconsin, had arrived in Jiljilya. He hadn’t seen his brother since As’ad left the United States over a decade beforehand and now he had come to visit. Unlike him, As’ad’s children didn’t manage to get to the funeral; since they don’t have Palestinian ID cards, they had to request Israeli visas, which are extremely hard for Palestinians to get.

      Since their return, Mahani and Omar had been unable to leave the village: Their old ID cards had been confiscated due to their prolonged absence; even if they had somehow traveled abroad with their U.S. passports, they would not have been allowed to return. Shortly before we arrived this week, the new ID cards they had waited for all these years arrived – but Omar was no longer alive. Amer had only managed to see him briefly before he died.

      Mother and brother are sobbing now. “We will all die,” the brother says. “But why like that?”

  • Israeli settler killed, 2 injured in alleged shooting attack near illegal West Bank settlement
    16 sept 2021 - Quds News Network

    Nablus (QNN)- An Israeli settler was reportedly killed and two others were injured in an alleged shooting attack near the illegal settlement of Homesh, north of Nablus city in the occupied West Bank, on Thursday night, Israeli media reported.

    Israeli media claimed an Israeli settler was killed while two others were injured in the alleged shooting attack near the illegal settlement of Homesh.

    The reports claimed that the three settlers were shot while in their car as they left Homesh.

    The two others, the reports said, sustained light injuries from broken glass and were taken to the hospital.

    Following the incident, the Israeli occupation forces shut down the entrances to the city of Nablus, denying entry and exit of Palestinian vehicles and passengers.

    The incident came amid a spike in settler violence against Palestinians and their properties in the occupied Palestinian territories. (...)

  • Israeli Soldiers Kill One Palestinian, Injure Two, In Nablus
    Dec 13, 2021 – – IMEMC News

    Israeli soldiers killed, on Sunday at night, a young Palestinian man, and injured two others, after the army invaded Nablus city, in the northern part of the occupied West Bank.

    Media sources said several army jeeps invaded the Ras al-‘Ein area in Nablus city, leading to protests, before the soldiers fired many live rounds at random, in addition to rubber-coated steel bullets, gas bombs, and concussion grenades.

    Ahmad Jibril, the director of the Nablus office of the Palestinian Red Crescent Society (PRCS), said the soldiers killed Jamil Mohammad al-Kayyal, 31, after shooting him with a live round in the head.

    Jibril added that the army jeeps also chased many Palestinians, and rammed two young men, causing moderate wounds, in addition to causing many to suffer the effects of tear gas inhalation.

    Furthermore, the soldiers also abducted a young man, identified as Amir al-Haj, and took him to an unknown destination.

    After the death of the young man, Palestinian resistance fighters exchanged fire with the invading soldiers.


  • Palestinian Gunman Killed, One Israeli Dead, Police Injured in Jerusalem
    Nov 21, 2021– – IMEMC News

    During an armed confrontation, Sunday morning, one Palestinian gunman was shot and killed by Israeli forces, one Israeli was killed and three more were injured, at the Bab al-Silsila Gate of the sacred Al-Aqsa mosque in occupied East Jerusalem, according to the Jerusalem Press.

    Israeli forces blocked all movement of Palestinians into the area and initiated a search campaign for a Palestinian young man who fled the scene, after an alleged stabbing attempt.

    The Palestinian News & Information Agency (WAFA) identified the slain gunman as Fadi Abu Shukhedem , 42, from the Shu’fat neighborhood of occupied East Jerusalem.

    Abu Shukhedem, armed with a “Carlo” submachine gun, opened fire at Israeli police officers, at the Bab al-Silsila or Chain Gate, who shot him dead during the armed encounter.

    This act of resistance comes just days after a 16-year-old child, identified as Omar Ibrahim Abu ‘Assab, was shot dead in Jerusalem after allegedly carrying out a stabbing attempt, Israeli authorities have have withheld the teen’s body, a common practice of the occupation.

    In 1948, the state of Israel was founded on the stolen lands of Palestine, and in 1967 Israel occupied the remainder of the West Bank and the besieged Gaza Strip.


  • Blinken: US to move forward with reopening Jerusalem Consulate that served Palestinians
    October 15, 2021 - Quds News Network

    Washington (QNN)- US Secretary of State Antony Blinken announced on Wednesday that Washington will be moving forward with its plan of reopening its consulate which served Palestinians in Jerusalem.

    “We’ll be moving forward with the process of opening a consulate as part of deepening those ties with the Palestinians,” Blinken stated at the State Department as speaking to the press after hosting a trilateral meeting with Israeli occupation Foreign Minister Yair Lapid and Emirati Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah Bin Zayed al-Nahyan.